Records & Firearm Licensing
The Records Division is under the direction of Chief Clerk Barb Vaughan and is responsible for organizing and securing all police records that are processed through the police department.
- Monday through Friday from 7 am to 5 pm
- Saturday 8 am to Noon (2 Saturdays a month - days vary)
- Closed on Sundays and Holidays
These reports can be picked up 3 to 5 business days after the accident
|Accident Reconstruction Reports||$1 per page|
|Other Reports||$1 per page|
|Vehicle Impound Release forms cost||$50|
$25 for city residents
$30 for non-city residents
Free of charge for government agencies, and children 17 years of age and younger
Indiana State Firearm Application
You must be a resident of the City of Portage to apply through our department.
5-year Personal Protection
- No fee to the City of Portage
- No fee to the State of Indiana
Lifetime Personal Protection (with no current license)
- $50 to the City of Portage
- $75 to the State of Indiana
Lifetime Personal Protection (current valid license)
- $40 to the City of Portage
- $60 to the State of Indiana
All fingerprinting is scheduled and paid for online. Fingerprints are not done at the Portage Police Department for firearms purposes.
- Applications must be filled out online at the Indiana State Police website
- You will need to make an online appointment for your L1-inkless electronic fingerprinting (on the same website).
- After your fingerprints are complete, you will need to come to the police department (during normal business) with your fingerprint receipt and your driver's license or state ID showing that your residency is within the City of Portage.
- Pay the City of Portage fee. (Payments accepted are listed below).
- We will then process your firearm application electronically to the Indiana State Police.
- Check - Made payable to the City of Portage is required with a drivers license
- Credit (additional fee)
- Money Order - Made payable to the City of Portage